I’m a complete novice when it comes to multi-stage endurance events but I’ve read up quite a bit about how to prepare and have followed tons of runners training for events like the Marathon Des Sables and other multi-stage desert races.
Below is short summary of things I need to keep in mind whilst training over the next few months as well as links to blogs I follow with great information about how to train for extreme ultra and multi-stage races:
FIRST THINGS FIRST…TEST ALL KIT!
- PACK TRAINING (start easy six months out – start with 2kg and build up to 7kg)
- Power hike (long runs)
- Power hike (short runs)
- Train with weighted pack (2-2.5kg)
- Walking (with pack)
- Back-to-back long runs
- Sand/beach training
- Hill training
- Running with Poles
- Wear layered clothing in training
- Heat training
- Experiment with your food! (consider how to package it; ziplocks etc)
- Hydration (electrolytes, powders, tablets)
- Shoes and gaiters
- Learn to use compass
- Recovery (eat, drink and build reserves for the next stage – ultimately eating for the race)
- Sleeping bag
- Test all mandatory race gear
…..and the list continues…
I follow these ultrarunners for the A-Z about extreme ultra and multi-stage racing.